Monday, February 27, 2017

14

Our Ellie turned fourteen today.

I can barely even believe she will be in high school next year and while I am thrilled for her, I know her years with me are dwindling down and I just want to hold on as tight as I can for as long as I can and feel the utter sense of joy and pride I have in her at this age at literally the exact same time.  It's the weirdest thing in the world.

At fourteen, our Elizabeth is 100x the young woman I was at her age.  She's articulate and kind and smart and she loves Jesus like crazy.  She's also a hilarous prankster with a sharp wit and she's super sacractic in a way that makes me pee my pants laughing.

So far, she's loved her school year.  She looks forward to Monday mornings and week night basketball games and she's fighting getting B's for the first time in a LONG time and I suspect that has A LOT to do with her social calendar.

Ellie has made some deep and special friendships this year and what I adore about her friends is that these sweet girls become all our friends.  They climb in our car and give me all the junior high gossip (that they want a middle-aged mom to know) and I take them out for Speedy Freezes and buy them junk food for sleepovers.  They are so cute, sitting in her bed late at night, giggling and laughing and their little bedheads are just as adorable at 14 as they are at 4.

Ellie has big plans and big dreams for herself and what I love most is to take long rides with her and hear all the closely held dreams of teenage heart.  She wants to travel and serve and raise a big a family and work her buns off and stay healthy and whole from high school on up to the nursing home.

Her siblings think she hung the moon.  She is their most requested playmate and sweet Gabby won't even have a friend over if Ellie won't be home.  I love that they love her so much and I love how sweet and tender she is with all of them.

Ellie Grace, you are a literal dream come true.  Daddy and I couldn't be more proud of your choices and your commitment to Jesus, your family and your freinds.  We got you baby.  Daddy and I and all the guys are behind you 100 percent and we always will be.  We are your biggest fans.  Now and always.  Happy Birthday Elizabeth.   You are so loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment